In some ways, grace sounds a lot like simple etiquette. And while I have absolutely no plans and no desire to become the next Dear Abby…
Here are some easy ways to earn ‘Brownie points’ with me:
1. Be gracious. If you are rude or inconsiderate, I will still
try to be kind when we are together, because of Jesus and in His Name. 🙂 (But, it is much more pleasant when your words and actions are seasoned with grace.)
2. Be honest. Generally, honesty and integrity should be first. But, if you aren’t gracious, it’s hard to connect with you…even if there’s something difficult I need to hear. (If the truth is spoken with a loving attitude, I’ll understand you have my best interest at heart.)
3. Keep your word. Let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ Follow through on what you say you will do. If you can’t do something, that’s alright, no problem! (Just don’t sign up for it…No wishy-washy or empty promises, please!)
4. Be reliable and show up on time. Okay, those may be two separate things. (But they go hand-in-hand in my book.)
5. Pick up the phone when necessary… or just because. So many messages get mixed up via text and email. An encouraging word is always welcome! (I also appreciate a quick, “I received your message, thanks!” but I will let that one slide…ahem.)
6. Don’t read (more) into every single word or action. Let’s give each other the benefit of the doubt. Most people would never intend to hurt someone else’s feelings. Accidents happen. People make mistakes. Be quick to forgive. (As Joyce Meyer says, “Just because you are given offense, doesn’t mean you have to take it.”)
7. Smile! As my Grandpa Y. always said, “It doesn’t cost anymore to smile.” He was a very smart and well-respected man! (So, you’ll be smart if you take this advice and smile!)
8. Buy or send me chocolate. Brownies are only one suggestion! I like dark chocolate best, and my address is____________. (And yes, they do send cookies in the mail!)
Okay, okay, the last one may have been a little joke! As a Registered Dietitian and foodie, I still believe in and promote a healthy balance.
I don’t need piles of chocolate all at one time. But if someone could make a sign-up sheet, that would be great! 😉
These are general guidelines with no one particularly in mind. And this is not an exhaustive list. But seriously. A little grace goes a long way! Thanks in advance!
“Do to others as you would like them to do to you” (Luke 6:31).
Questions: What is on your list? How can I earn ‘Brownie points’ with you?! 🙂